2008年12月12日星期五

My new Laptop

Recently I got a new laptop computer, HP Pavilion dv4-1120us. The hardware spec (4GB RAM, 250 GB HDD and Core 2 Duo T5800 CPU) and price of the computer are both great, and the appearance is good. I like the HP logo on the back of screen. It will be on with soft white light when the computer is running. I also like the touch controls above the keyboard to control media players and WiFi.

I like the computer's Vista system, too. It is the first time I use Vista in daily life. It runs smothly, except that the computer management is so weak - there are no gpedit.msc! Also I found some issues of my TabIMSwitch. It failes to detect the count of valid input method so it cannot work. I am analyzing the problem and I will fix it as soon as possible.

When trying the multimedia effects, I found some issue in the sound output. The sound crackles when I play music, movie, even Windows sound. I tried different media players but the problem persists. After googling the problem, I found the reason is the sound card conflicts with the WiFi adapter (so strange, right?) Someone suggest to disable WiFi adapter - it is impossible for me because I rely on WiFi to connect to my home network, and my company network. At last I found an acceptable solution: you just need to disable 802.11a bands of WiFi adapter:

Start, Computer, System Properties, Advanced System Settings, Hardware Tab, Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, rick click on Broadcom, properties, Advanced Tab - Property - Disable Bands = "Disable 802.11a"

Someone says the battery life is short. I definitely agree with them. Even use the "Power Saver" mode, the battery can only support 2 hours of programming, and even less if I play background music at the same time. Maybe I can do more twists to make the bettery life longer. Most of time I use power supply so it may not be a very serious issue for me.

I also find the mouse touchpad has a design issue. When you type on the keyboard, the root of your right thumb may touch the pad and trigger a click. Depends on where the mouse pointer is, it may cause edit focus lost or fault operations. Fortunately there is a button above the touchpad, by clicking which you can disable the touchpad. Now I always disable the touchpad when typing.

Generally, the laptop is a high cost/performace ratio selection.

没有评论: